Monday, February 17, 2014

BFS’s (Big Frackin’ Salads) and Depression Ambushes



I hate it when someone brings something for lunch that smells damn good!


You see, I pack a BFS (Big Frackin’ Salad) every day for lunch so my lunch doesn’t smell like anything….well, maybe a freshly mown lawn.  It sure as hell doesn’t waft up the nostrils like, say, the arma of frying bacon or warm beef stew.   

It seems like everyone else that works here brings killer lunches.   Meals that scream “tasty!,” “filling!,”  and “not mine!”   

Instead, I open the fridge, pull out my salad and then….

I smell something someone has heated up in the break room, and I suffer a depression ambush.

A depression ambush is that sudden, overwhelming feeling of FML that usually comes in response to…..well, to having a salad for lunch while all the other people seem to be sporting steak and potatoes or NY style pizza or something.

Don’t get me wrong, my BFS lunches are pretty awesome.  I spend real time on my salad making enterprises.  They are packed with greens, olives, onions, etc…..  My one tip to protein is a small handful of almonds (do sunflower seeds have protein?) and the occasional bug that slips past the washing phase.  Load it with super-high-fat salad dressing, and I have a pretty decent lunch. 

I usually look forward to it every day…….largely because up until lunch time I only ever have coffee and a banana so I’m starving like toothless horse in short grass.

But then some person who hasn’t heard of the concept of healthy diet, starts warming up something from America’s Top Chef or whatever, and my salad starts to seem like what it really is; an assortment of things that humanity originally started eating only because they couldn’t catch real food. 

It’s like grade school all over again, only I have healthy food rather than the pathetically dry sandwiches on day-old bread, with mealy apples.  Lunches that I used to get, while my friend Earl had sandwiches of fresh Wonder Bread with half a pound of Oscar Myer lunch meat, Snack Pack puddings, Cheetos, Ring Dings  and other tasty things.

I’m not bitter……(okay maybe a little)...... but I realize now that I make the choice to eat what I eat.  I choose to eat things that will (hopefully) slow the deterioration process (some call it aging) that my body is going through.  Stuff that will potentially prolong my life by a few minutes…….

(Unless of course I meet an untimely demise by a car accident, home invasion gone awry, drone strike, bites by large venomous snakes, ship wreck, exploding gas lines, or errant meteors.)

……or at least make me a feel a little more fit while my pathetic life lasts.  

So what if I have to suffer through a produce department for lunch?!   

Who cares that I am desperately chewing spinach and hoping for porterhouse?  

There are good reasons for doing so……..like.

The grim satisfaction I get when I walk past all those people, eating their aromatic, drool inducing victuals, and pat my firm, flat stomach and think…….


……"Damn!!  It even looks good too!!"

That's usually when I suffer another Depression Ambush                             

No comments:

Post a Comment