Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Merry Something or Other

It's nearing the end of 2013 and the time of year when celebratory spending and pointless reflection are the norm.  That magical time of the season when retail businesses are all whoring it up on the airwaves, vying for your cash or credit card number.

Christmas.....also statistically known as suicide season.

I've been a willing participant in the past, but this year I have let it slide by largely unobserved.  No tree, no lights or other tawdry decorations, no cards sent out, few received thank goodness.  Very few presents (two to be exact) purchased and purchased (it goes without saying) by cash only.  And a modicum of holiday greetings to those around me.......come to think of it, I haven't said "merry Christmas" or "happy holidays" or other such drivel even once.

I have, however, enjoyed the occasional holiday cookie when the opportunity to munch one has come along.  I'm not dead after all.

This season of pulling back from the herd, and not participating has been......refreshing on one level.  While it may appear to an outside observer that I am depressingly droll, or Scrooge like in my demeanor, it is actually liberating.  The rest of the flock may have gotten fleeced at the register, or spent a Saturday trashing their yard with plastic finery, but not me.  It was business-as-usual, and I'm glad.

Okay, so maybe I bought a couple gifts, and did spend one morning shopping at the mall with my daughter (18 and not many opportunities left), but that doesn't count.  That was a morning spent investing in that father-daughter relationship.  A small price to pay for a lifetime of dividends for me, and for her I hope.  It wasn't a shopping frenzy or mad rush to try and shore up the soul with hollow promises.

Yeah, Christmas has traditionally left me flat, and unfulfilled.   It always promises huge rewards, and delivers trifles and baubles.  All the hype ends by noon on December 25, and what do you have left then but clean up?  Haven't you ever gotten to December 26 and thought, "really?? Is that all?"

Well, I'll be honest, I have.

So this year, I've avoided the disappointments by not falling for the deception.  Christmas isn't going to make me happy, presents (giving or receiving) don't make me happy, decorations need to be put back in the attic or garage.  I refused to rise to the bait, and I think I am better for it.  I bought a timing belt and water pump for my car rather than melt my plastic in the pursuit of sundries of no value.  Food will not master my waist band.  I will not place my hope in hype.

There can be no post holiday let down if there is no spurious build up of emotions and expectations.

So.....merry something or other.....or not. 


No comments:

Post a Comment